Monday, September 14, 2020

Diary of J. Long Distance Relationships.

A while ago I said I am thinking of re-writing / translating / whatever some of my previous dear diary posts. Well, here I am, this is the first one. But before I go into my experience with long distance relationships and how I view them, the photo you see on this post is taken by Mathyas Kurmann.

A few years ago, back when I was in high school I kind of wound up in a long distance relationship. I started talking to someone online and we kept on talking. We had a lot of things in common and we talked about everything. Really, everything. At first we were very good friends and I can't remember who, but one of us, obviously, was like hang on, I think I like you more than just a friend. And the other one said yeah, me too and that was that. 

I think I was about 17-18 at that time and we lived pretty far away so we couldn't meet. We wanted to, but it was a little tricky because of several reasons. In the end we didn't meet at all during the relationship which is surprising as it lasted for about two years. We just talked online, wrote stories together, sent letters and gifts to each other, stuff like that. 

At some point this whole long distance thing became frustrating for me. Yes, we did spend a lot of time talking and while that was nice, it wasn't the same as physically being with them and that drove me a bit nuts. Especially when my partner was going through a difficult time or when they were upset. It's not surprising that we started fighting towards the end of the relationship, I think we were both just as frustrated and it just didn't work anymore. 

Again, I don't know who said it, but one of us said I think we should end this. And the other said yeah, me too and that was it. I know we were both so relieved, I distinctly remember them saying something along the lines 'I'm so glad I can finally tell you this' after a certain conversation. And I was like, yeah, I feel the same

I over simplified it in this post, two years is a lot, but anyway, that was about it. 

Now... After everything was said and done we kept in touch. We actually still talk occasionally, and they are a very dear and special person to me. We shared a lot of things and during that time there was no one who knew me better or whom I knew better. I'm glad I could experience this with them. 

What I think about long distance relationships? Well, I'm not opposed to them, I would give it another try if the person is right, but with the condition we have to meet as soon as possible, and if everything goes well, move closer to each other. There's just so long a relationship can last without actual physical closeness. I mean, yeah, it's great to be able to talk about anything, but it's even greater to talk about anything while taking a walk together or cuddle. 

That being said it's impressive we lasted so long. 

I should also note that nowadays it's easier to be in a long distance relationship. Back when I was in high school we used to send pictures to each other and we only had the computer, but that was about it. Now there's videocall, we have smartphones so no one has to rush at home to log in into whatever social media account, and even calling is waaaaay more cheaper than before. So yeah, things changed a lot. 

I think I covered everything there was to without going in too much detail so yeah, that's about it. Oh, do I think long distance relationships work? Definitely, if both people really want it to work and both are prepared to compromise, yes, it works. 

No comments:

Post a Comment