Sunday, January 31, 2021

In the kitchen: Cooking tips from an amateur homecook.

 When it comes to cooking and me, it's less cooking and more experimenting. More often than not I just mix together whatever I feel like eating, plus any ingredients I think would go well. So far I've had only one complaint. Of course, I cook only for myself most of the time, and that one complaint was me managing to somehow smoke some cabbage so badly I couldn't bear eating it so I dumped it all in the bin. That was a sad day. 

But wait, I cooked for my best friend before and I usually get positive feedback. Not always stellar, but considering she usually finishes eating what I put in front of her, I'd say that's a success. 

Now that you know where my cooking skills are at, there are some tips I kept seeing around and started following. The results have been amazing and since they make such a big difference I thought why not put them all in one place. So here goes.

   01. When cooking eggs, take them off the heat right before they are done.
I bet you have a certain preference when it comes to eggs, if you eat eggs at all, but right before they are that perfect consistency you love, take them off the stove. The cooking process doesn't stop the second you turn off the heat, so those extra moments will ensure you get the perfect eggs. Might sound bogus, but it makes a huge difference, I was surprised the first time I did it. 

   02. Get fresh vegetables.
I used to get frozen vegetables most of the time because I thought it'll cook way faster. It turns out that's not necessarily the case. Most of the vegetables cook in about the same time your frozen ones take to defrost and heat up, so you are not saving any time. 

   03. Add butter.
If you are not lactose intolerant, butter makes wonders. You can add it to your scrambled eggs and your meats and it's delicious. Well, you might have some preferences here too. I, for example, don't actually like butter in my eggs, or chicken meat, but I absolutely love it when it comes to pork. It makes the meat so much softer, it almost melts when eating, and the flavour is great. 

   04. Season meats beforehand.
When cooking meat, season it at least 10 minutes before you start cooking it. This allows all those condiments to get right into it and you'll get a delicious meal. 

   05. Parchment paper is your friend.
The oven tray will thank you for using parchment paper or aluminium foil (not if you use an induction stove, though, aluminium doesn't go well with induction), it'll be so much easier to clean afterwards, and you can also use less oil since nothing will stick so stubbornly.  

   06. Do not improvise when it comes to baking.
That's literally the only time improvisation doesn't help, baking is an exact science and it's so easy to mess it up even when you follow the instructions. Other than that, go wild, get all your favourite ingredients and mix and match to your heart's content. 

   07. Clean as you go.
This will save you a lot of headache. Don't let the sink get full, clean as soon as you can, while waiting for the water to boil or when everything's in the oven. It will make your cooking experience so much better. 

And that's it! It's so easy to make your meals so much tastier, easier, and enjoyable. Also, don't be afraid of cooking meals you usually only eat when going out. You'll discover they are not so difficult to prepare. Go and try them out, you are the chef in your kitchen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment