Friday, September 04, 2020

The Agency series by Ada Maria Soto


            

There are those type of novels where you read the synopsis and think to yourself, hmm, this sounds interesting, action filled, funny, maybe cute, and you go read it expecting that. Only that you start reading and the novel is nothing like you expected it to be. 

That being said, if you don't already know anything about this series I encourage you to not read my 'review' and go straight to reading the series.

As I said, this series was nothing like I was expecting it to be. I admit I was a little influenced by what I usually read, the title had something to do with my initial impression too and the synopsis made me think about an office affair of some sort. 

Basically, Arthur is a newly (side)promoted agent who tries to fit in. He tries to befriend his colleagues, strike a conversation, but with no luck. However, Arthur is decided to turn his luck around, to make himself noticed and liked (by the higherups too); he is not easily discouraged and he is pretty ambitious. Arthur decides to try and break Martin's shell, the one agent who hasn't spoken a word to anyone in the office in the last three years. 

His Quiet Agent
When I finished reading His Quiet Agent I was at a loss for words. I needed a bit to recollect myself, to gather my thoughts and make some sense out of them. 

The novel is very well written. Usually I have at least a couple complaints, something I didn't quite like, but when it comes to this novel, my complaints list is blank, there's none. His Quiet Agent is such a nice, smooth read. 

The two main characters are so great, I loved Arthur's perseverance and the silent encouragements he got from others. Martin is a quiet person, but his subtle reactions show us a glimpse of what's inside and luckily for everyone, Arthur was paying attention. I was surprised by everything that happened, and I loved how their relationship developed. They are both really great and it makes me feel warm and content knowing they can rely on each other.

Merlin in the Library 
This second part of the series follows the plot of the first, and while the first is from Arthur's perspective, this is from Martin's. 
 
Merlin in the Library made me feel a little... not sad, but somewhere along the lines, and content at the same time. I am so happy Arthur is there for Martin. His devotion and patience are limitless, it makes me like him so much more. Martin too, underneath his straight face he's someone so complex and someone who needs just a little bit of attention. It's incredible how much we can learn about Martin despite everything he's not saying.

In a way Merlin in the Library is a sort of an epilogue where Arthur and Martin settle into a routine together. It's still early, but I have no doubt this is the start to something truly beautiful.

When asked about a sequel Ada Maria Soto said As for more, I'm not sure. Of the dozens of characters chattering away in my head Arthur and Martin are the quietest. I also know they mean a lot to people so I wouldn't want to force out something second rate with them. I think that is such a great thing to say. Arthur and Martin are one of a kind characters and I'd rather not have a sequel than have a rushed out story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment