Monday, August 24, 2020

Update. New device

Oh, here I am! I think this is two weeks with no new post on here, but I have a half good explanation. 

Initially I planned on not writing anything for one week. I just didn't have anything to write about (now I have a small list) so I thought, meh, I could have a break until I figure out what I want to write about. My break, however, was extended with the 'help' of my laptop.

I have a good laptop, been having and using it (minus about one year when an important component got fried and I didn't have money to fix it) since around 2014. Before that I had a second hand laptop that didn't last very long, so the one I've been using is actually the first I bought new. I named it Qube. 

Qube has been very helpful to me, keeping me entertained and busy and allowing me to procrastinate extensively. Since I've been using it for such a long while, I did have some more issues with it. Besides the component that got fried, the keyboard had to be replaced at some point, I think last year. That was kinda my fault as I dismantled it to clean it and I broke two keys when putting them back. From then on it slowly started to act up and eventually I had no choice but to get a new keyboard. The new one did its best, but it wasn't the original so it still occasionally acted up.

A few weeks ago Qube went wild. Besides needing a thorough cleaning, I must have done something... I'm not sure if a driver needed some patch up or if I installed something sketchy, the Internet says both of those can be a cause, but it started freezing, the keyboard didn't work properly (when I pressed c Qube understood f1, when I pressed m it understood nm7, left arrow doubled as backspace; basically the whole keyboard was all over the place), it started opening stuff on its own and sometimes it didn't even start (I'm inclined to believe there was a driver issue). To top it off, I got the blue screen and I thought that was it for Qube.

Since a while ago I was already thinking I wanted a new laptop, so Qube going off wasn't an issue. An issue was my photos; I have a tonne of photos that I don't want to lose and that I wasn't inspired enough to back up. I looked for laptops before, I had a few picks, all I needed was a push so after a few days I ordered a new laptop, from which I am writing now. It's sleek, has a really nice pattern that I like, I have a num pad that I wished for a while, and I have Bluetooth, which means I can connect my headphones now, yay! And transfer pictures from my phone, meaning I might update Instagram more often (sometimes I do some colour enhancement/correction in PS, but it takes me soooooo long to get the photos from my phone on my PC). Oh. OH! And now I have an actual working, lasting battery (13h bby!). I never had a long lasting battery, how crazy is that?

But back to Qube. Since I really wanted my pictures, I kept trying to turn it on, tried to open it in safe mode (no luck since the keyboard was all wonky), but eventually I managed to turn it on and it stayed on enough for me to transfer my photos to my phone (yay for big storage!) and, after I already ordered and paid for the new one, I poked around and successfully restored the Windows. I fixed it, it works just fine, no more freezing, no more odd keyboard, all's perfectly fine! And I even kept all the files and pictures I had. 

I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do about Qube, probably going to give it away, but it sure is a weird thing having two working laptops when I only use one. I'm in a bit of an alien situation here. 

So yeah, this is what I've been doing these weeks. I guess I'm going back to setting up my device, now that I got used to the keyboard (I'm using a different layout and with the num pad everything is placed a little different anyway). I have to figure out what apps I have to download and set everything else the way I need it. Knowing me this is going to take a while. Good thing I'm in no rush, heh.

No comments:

Post a Comment