Friday, August 07, 2020

The Boss series by Abigail Barnette

I just finished reading this series last night and I have to write about it. I went through the first five out of seven books really fast and then I slowed down on the last two because I started work again, after the lockdown.

A bit of a background on how I got to read this series:

A while ago I came across a link to Jenny Trout's blog where she wrote a chapter by chapter review to a popular and questionable at best BDSM novel. Something about the colour grey. I didn't read all of the posts, but I do occasionally go read a chapter review to have fun and see an example of "this is not good" or read some of the replies.

Happily reading these reviews, I also learned about another questionable BDSM novel recently turned movie. This was when I started asking myself is there no good F/M BDSM novel out there?

And then I realised: there might be, Jenny Trout wrote something!


If you are not familiar with Jenny Trout, you might be confused about the name on the cover. Jenny Trout also writes as Abigail Barnette, she uses the latter name for erotica novels, just so you know what to expect.

I already like Jenny's blog, she's funny, she isn't shy of speaking up and seems like an all around cool person. Of course I had my hopes up when starting to read The Boss series. Because of that I might be biased and like the series more than I would have normally, although to be completely out there, normally I wouldn't have read it. 

Rambling

The Boss deals with a lot of uncomfortable situations across the seven instalments, it's not an easy to read series if you are squeamish of things that happen in real life, like abortion or disease. I don't remember reading anything dealing with these things so openly, so raw, and of course it sparked all kinds of reactions, people not agreeing with the character's view on abortions and not liking the fact that the series dealt with heavier subjects as well, like disease. I understand where this all comes from, but I feel like some of the readers exaggerated a little. I also find it funny how some of the readers would complain about something in one novel (like successful sex scenes, climax and all), and then complain about too much sex in the next one. 

It doesn't really make any sense to me and I am thinking about writing more concerning these things, but I'm not quite sure if I am going to go ahead with it. They do require some attention, though, so I'll see what kind of a mood I'm in after re-reading some of the reviews.

Review

Going back to the series, overall it was an interesting read. I won't go as far as to say the series is one of my favourites, there are some things I didn't like, but I am glad I gave it a chance.

The main character of the book is Sophie Scaife who, six years after she had a thrilling one night stand with a stranger, is reconnected with said stranger, now as her boss. The new situation is both unnerving and exciting. Sophie never really got over the stranger and is more than happy to try and either get over him or start a no strings attached relationship. Her boss, Neil Elwood, hasn't gotten over her either.

The first book is just that, Sophie and Neil reconnecting, starting a s/D relationship and eventually confronting their feelings and unexpected situations.

Each book of the series ends in a cliffhanger, there is something that needs to be addressed and it really made me want to know more. At first I was enthralled by the characters, after I managed to get past the first few chapters (I almost dropped it because of the age difference between the main characters, but I waited to see an explanation. And good thing I did), and then they were familiar enough to make me feel comfortable and want to read more.

What I mostly liked about the series is that there is no bullshit, no pretend. Things are laid out plainly, like it or not. The characters are flawed, they make mistakes and they try to fix them. I liked the relationship between Sophie and Neil, not a perfect one, but one that they made to work. Another first for me is reading about the main characters going to couples therapy. Isn't that wild? Despite this not being what I usually read, I feel like there are plenty of novels where this could have been introduced. I do read quite a lot of drama and romance.

Going forward we see Sophie adjusting to everything around her changing, to being wealthy, then we see her dealing with family issues. A lot of family issues. Everything she ever thought of, everything she dreamed of is not even close to what she's becoming. I liked reading about her struggles and I found myself thinking that I would react the same way she did in a lot of situations.

Leaving aside all the 'real' things the series presents, this is, after all, a BDSM erotica novel and we are not short on the sex or the spanking. It was educative in a way too, I had to look up a few terms. The series also mentions swinging and later Sophie and Neil are involved in a polyamorous relationship with El-Mudad who they meet in a sex club in Paris.

While at first I liked Sophie very much and then I got to appreciate Neil more and find him adorable at times, when it came to El-Mudad, first introduced as Emir, it was love at first read. He is just perfect. He is charming, dashing even, a discreet and attentive lover; he is irresistible. Initially he is mostly present in the bedroom, but we get glimpses of him here and there, we get familiar with him and later he starts a serious relationship with Sophie and Neil. And they are so great together. 

I think El-Mudad is the one that actually kept me interested in the series, I like him that much. Without him things would have been plain, unsalted. 

I feel like I should mention that the plot doesn't advance quickly. As I already mentioned, each book ends in a bit of a cliffhanger, so it's no surprise that there might be some unsolved issues at the end of one book, left to be picked up in the next. However, the cliffhangers, apart from the first book, are not overly dramatic and you can guess what's going to happen next. Thanks to that, although I think there might be another instalment in the works due to what happened in the seventh book, I am not desperate about reading more, I can guess what might come next. 

Overall

Thinking about it, it's surprising how many things are included in the series and how they are dealt with. I find that entertaining and interesting and ultimately I am glad I read The Boss. I liked how it was written too (meaning the writing style, because the editing was not the best on the last three books), Jenny Trout has a way of keeping you interested and even when I was expecting something to happen, it still took me by surprise. 

I found myself sighing, laughing, hide my face in the pillow, almost cry, cringe, be worried, and aroused while reading the series. For that alone, The Boss fully deserves the average 4-5 stars I rated.

No comments:

Post a Comment