Saturday, March 21, 2020

Happy Birthday

Today at work a customer told me that if you sing Happy Birthday two times when washing your hands it makes up the time needed to properly get your hands clean. We were sharing what we've heard regarding the ongoing virus that is affecting everyone. May it not be contracting the virus directly, but changes some aspect in our lives, for some more than others.

Me, for example, one year ago, these days, I was in the rented apartment with my best friend, sharing some wine in the evening. A bit after that I was at work being surprised by my colleagues with a beautiful potted rose that is now in my mom's garden, and three neon coloured lipsticks. Ah, and a delicious dessert. In both instances I was celebrating my birthday, and I think I even cried happy tears at some point.

Right now I'm sitting on my bed, in another country, glass of wine next to me (a delicious fruity champagne like wine that I would love to be able to share with my best friend), after being called just a few hours ago to be told that my workplace is closing down temporarily.

Last year during this time I was pretty much living paycheck to paycheck, but I didn't worry about having a monthly income. Now I got a glimpse of what I could do, started making plans, saving money to achieve said plans. And I am watching them getting further away from me. It's painful. 

These days I'm reading about people buying products and selling them way more expensive to people that actually need said products. I'm reading about homeless people having to isolate in the woods. I'm reading comments about how people are upset for not being able to go get a pint at the pub. I hear about people physically fighting over toilet paper. I read about greed, about ignorance, about inhumanity. And it's making me so sad.

I read about people being selfless too. On my Instagram feed I get a lot of people donating, and please do if you can. I watch lives made by people wanting to assure us we are not alone in this, even though isolated. And I read about people trying to do as little as they can to help others; being it a video call, arranging for someone to deliver food to their elderly relatives when they can't, offering free courses to develop a skill, reading outloud, holding a meditation session or watching a movie together, but from the comfort of their homes. To these people, thank you, you make me believe that we are not all doomed after all. 

For the rest of you that are at home, maybe alone, maybe with your pets or with family, good job. May we all get over this safely and healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment