Thursday, April 09, 2020

The Future is Now

On my recent trip at the store I kept hearing an announcement over the speakers. They were saying about an app you can download on your phone that allows you to scan your products, get them right into your bag and with everything already secured, you can go to the self checkout and pay. This happened at Sainsbury's. 

Oh, wait, I forgot to mention a few things. 

At the end of last year I finally decided that enough is enough. I packed my bags and flew my ass to United Kingdom, where I am now, in full pandemic. 

One of the things that most surprised me was the technology. It is everywhere! And I live in a really small town, I can't imagine how things are in bigger cities (which I hope I will get to visit at some point), but I must admit, it makes everything so easy. The first job contract I signed was online. My bank account was set up and is managed by me online. I can get train tickets in an app. It's great! 

It is no wonder that now there is an app designed to make shopping faster and minimise touching other objects and/or people.

I downloaded the app while in store, it was super easy to set it up, I scanned all my shopping, put them in my backpack without rushing to get out of the way for the next person to get to the till, finished my shopping, paid at self checkout by contactless card and I was out on my way. I was impressed. The app worked perfectly and I was done way sooner than usual. No lines, no rushing, just scan and go. 

Even though we currently live horrible historical times, I think there are good things coming out of all this. One of them being, of course, technology. I think we would have gotten to this point anyway, but now it seems sooner since more people would embrace it. Without the whole less touching bit, I don't think people would download an app as fast as it is happening now. 

Besides technology I hope other things will follow suit and we're going to soon see a more welcoming world, more open and easier to navigate. 

               Until then, stay safe everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment