Thursday, October 22, 2020

Update: anime, books, and drawing


Can't believe this is my first post this month. I've been slacking. Okay, I have some good-ish explanation. In short I was so not in a state to write anything. I was, however, in the mood to draw. And watch some anime. Not movies. Reading... not quite, a little.

This is a classical case of life happening. Work has been crazy lately. Besides an increase in customers (which is actually not a problem at all) some of the people I work with have gone completely nuts. Some ridiculous things go on, I don't even think you would believe all of it if I were to write it down here. I might do that at some point, preferably when that's not my main income source, but until then, take my word for it: people are nuts! 

Moving along~

Anime. 

I don't know when I started watching Bleach. If I try and think about it, I started watching it more than three years ago. That's crazy, isn't it? Did I watch like 100 episodes/year or something? What? Anyway, I started watching Bleach and then, in classical me fashion, I stopped watching it. Part of it because I lost interest, part because other things caught my attention. At some point I decided to finish watching it out of spite, but in the end I started watching the last episodes instead of YouTube videos and guess what, it worked. More than that, I got interested in it again, right before it went to shit. Point is I watched it. Will I watch the sequel once it comes out? Mayhaps? Dunno, I'll see. (Did you know there's gonna be a sequel? I found out by mistake.)

After watching Bleach I decided that yes, I do want to watch something else too, another anime, so now I am watching Uraboku. The first time I heard about it I was in high school, I think, and I had it on my watchlist since then. Why didn't I start watching it earlier? Well, that's a big mystery. So far I quite like it. The plot is interesting enough, not perfect, it makes me cringe sometimes, but I do like it very much. 

Books!

I mentioned at some point I got another John Grisham book, The Guardians. It took me a while to start reading it, but I did manage to read it, and yes, I did like it. I am planning on writing about it properly at some point so I'm only mentioning it now. 

Next I started reading Sebastian by Sam Argent which is supposed to be the first book of Family of Lies series, but since 2015 this is the only one published, so I don't know, I only hope it won't end in a cliffhanger. I only read a bit of it so far so I don't know yet if I really like it, but the synopsis sounded interesting (I don't remember much of it right now, but I think a dragon was mentioned). 

Drawing? 

When I was little I liked drawing (what kid didn't?) and I had a few attempts of actually learning how to draw, but it never stuck. This year, since it's the first time I actually remembered it before it started, I decided to do INKTOBER. The goal was to doddle something for every prompt and have fun in the process, but it became actually trying to draw something decent. I've been following some tutorials online, I have a few favourites already, and I must say it is actually really fun drawing while listening to music. I admit I've been slacking on that too in the past few days, but I did manage to stick to INKTOBER. After I'm done I might post some pictures on here.

Back to the tutorials, I am attempting to learn how to draw in ink. More accurately I use fine liner ink pens. I've already invested in fine liners, rulers, notebooks and everything else I need so I better go through with this. My goal so far is to fill up the two notebooks I got (a small one for pretty plants and a bigger one for practicing shapes, figures, the basics of drawing). 

I started by following the tutorials made by alicelovesdrawing. I like the style so much! I've been following Alice on Instagram for a long while now and every time she posted a tutorial or a step by step I kept thinking I would like to try drawing such pretty things too, so now I'm finally trying it. 

The next one is Alphonso Dunn. At some point I was searching for tutorials online, I can't remember specifically what subject I was looking for, might have been eyes, but I stumbled upon Alphonso Dunn and I kinda fell in love. I mean, even the way he draws arrows is so nice (I remember now, it was definitely eyes), and the way he explains how to draw stuff is so easy to follow and actually sticks. I like watching the tutorials even when I don't have the notebook in front of me, it's so good. 

The third artist I really like is Mark Brunet. Now, Marc Brunet mainly deals with digital art, but he gives a lot of great tips that can be applied to traditional art too. He is also funny and the the tutorials are easy to follow. 

I am probably going to find some more great artists/professors in my drawing journey, I am sure there are a lot of amazing ones from whom I can learn a lot, but so far, these three are my go to and I highly recommend them as they offer a lot of useful tips, they make great tutorials, and they are such a joy to watch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment