Friday, February 05, 2021

January's favourite books

[photography by Brandi Redd]


Watching films is not all I did this month, I read too, so now I want to write about some of my favourite reads. I'm not going to write about the ones I did not like, and this list might not be in concordance with the ratings on my Goodreads account. Thing is, sometimes it's more to a book that just being written flawlessly. I might have rated a book 5 stars, but that doesn't mean it will make it into my top however many books. A 3 or 4 stars book might be higher on my list based on a thing that I thought was brilliant, or something that I found to be unique or outstanding. Or simply because on the vibe of the book and how I think about it a while after I read it. 

That being said, here I my favourite books from this January.

✔   All's Fair series by Josh Lanyon 
Mystery, Crime, MM Romance

    There are three books in this series—Fair Game, Fair Play, and Fair Chance—and I loved every single one of them. The series focuses more on the crime aspect of it and less on the romance, and I am all in for that. I actually liked following Elliot around throughout the series. 
    Elliot is an ex FBI agent, forced to quit his job after being shot. He is now a history professor, still recovering and trying to get accustomed to his new life, away from the action.
    Tucker is an FBI agent and Elliot's... Ex-boyfriend? Did they even date or was it just sex? Either way, Elliot and Tucker are reunited when a student goes missing.
    Elliot is not the most likeable character, but I did like him a lot. He's so stubborn and a pain to figure out, but clearly a very good agent (well, ex-agent), a good professor, and a genuinely good guy. I really appreciate him being able to acknowledge his shortcoming and act on it. In the opposite corner is Tucker. Tucker is awesome, it's impossible to not like him and he's amazing for putting up with Elliot. But also, they are so right for each other. I really, really liked them as a couple. 
    The series is filled with adrenaline, anxiety and sweet, sweet, hot lovemaking. It has everything, and if you like Mystery-Crimes with a splash of Romance, this is the one for you. 

✔   The Story of Us by Barbara Elsborg
Young Adult, Abuse, MM Romance 

    This is the last book I read in January and the by from Barbara Elsborg, but I don't plan for it to be the last. I loved this novel so much! It is not an easy read and here I must warn you that there is some abuse towards children described (not sexual, but violence and cruelty). 
    The book follows Zed and Caspian from the moment they first meet, it follows their growing friendship, their journey through an evil world where parents are the worst, where they are shut down and shut up, and where they are struggling to just be, wishing to be loved, and to love each other.
    This is definitely one of the angstiest books I read. The plot stretches over ten summers and shows us Zed and Caspian at their lowest and their highest. They both have to deal with a lot, all the while longing for each other. I liked the writing, and I loved Zed and Caspian. They fit together so well. 

✔   By the Light of Dawn by Adrienne Wilder
Disability, MM Romance ~#2 of Morgan and Grant series

    I read the first book in the series, In The Absence of Light, a while ago, in around 2019 I think, and it was my first Adrienne Wilder novel. I loved it, but I didn't even dream of a sequel so when I saw that there was one I rushed to get my hands on it. Right from the start I'm going to say that the book won't make a whole lot of sense if you haven't read the first one so I encourage you to read it before. 
    I'm not sure how to resume this one without referencing to the first book, but, just to outline what's going on there: Grant is an ex-smuggler who, at some point, went to hide away from the FBI. Morgan is a fascinating autistic man who Grant bumps into in a diner. That's how the first book starts. The sequel follows Morgan and Grant a few months after the first book as they sail across the ocean on a very important mission. What's the mission? No one really knows, but Morgan is sure they have to be there, wherever there is, at just the right moment. 
    Morgan is so great. He is funny and witty and I adore him. He's something else altogether and it's obvious to see why Grant loves him so much. If anyone's lucky in this relationship to have the other, it's definitely Grant.  

✔   In The Miso Soup by Ryū Murakami
Horror, Thriller, Crime

    If you are planning on reading this book, I highly encourage you to not read the synopsis before. The novel builds up beautifully and keeps you on edge, but that's ruined if you read the synopsis before because it spoils it a bit.
    Reading this book I realised some things regarding Japanese horror films. I don't know how it didn't occur to me before, but the fact is that the book helped me understand Japanese horror films better. There are some things that simply don't make sense when you watch them so a bit of a background or some sort of hint is helpful, which is what this book offered me. I don't know how to explain it, but I bet you'll get what I mean if you dabble in both Japanese horror films and books.
    I like Murakami and I liked this book too. It's intense, it's bizarre, and it's very good. 

✔   Sycamore Row by John Grisham 
Legal Thriller, Suspense ~#2 of Jake Brigance series

    The last book on my list is actually the first I read this year. Well, I started it in December, but completed it in January. Either way. The book is a sequel to A Time to Kill which I mentioned before, and by now you might know I like John Grisham a lot. The books can be read as standalone. There are some mentions to the first one, but you are not out of the loop or having trouble to follow the plot. 
    Speaking of plot, Jake Brigance is facing an interesting case: he has the explicit duty of protecting and enforcing a will. Things get messy as Jake tries to understand what's going on, what's the reason of all this, and do his job. 
    Jake is a great lawyer and I loved how realistic the book feels. John Grisham being a lawyer himself means that's not a surprise, but even so. I liked all the emotions, the mystery of the case, and the hard work put into it. Definitely a good read. 

And this concludes my favourites for January. I am glad to see that I managed to pick such different books, all kinds of genres. It goes without saying that I recommend all of them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment