Monday, July 27, 2020

Water filter > bottled water

The last thing I ever imagined myself writing about is water filters. Actually, water filters never even was an option. But hear me out: water filters are great and I'm glad to own one.

I wish I could say I am the type of person who cares for the environment that much, and while that did have something to do with me purchasing a water filter, that was not the main reason. I try to do things for the environment, like not littering and using my own bag (usually backpack) when shopping, but that's about it. I mostly abide the rules and try being a decent citizen (which, actually, I think more people should do), but that's about it.

When it comes to water, I usually drink tap water. Well, at my last place I drank tap water, but here I just can't. Or couldn't. The hardness of the water is way higher and the taste is horrible. I tried a few times with no success so for the past few months I kept buying bottled water and there are some problems with that.

01. Paying for water
Potable water is one of those things I don't think should be charged. Everyone everywhere should have access to safe to drink water, no question about it. Sadly and shockingly there are countries where tap water is not safe to drink and where you could contract serious illnesses just by drinking the tap water. First result on Google is 25 countries where you shouldn't drink tap water. That's 25 countries too much. It is incredibly sad that there are places where people can't drink water without paying for it. Water is a human right, it should be free and safe everywhere.

02. Plastic bottles
During the time I bought water I was amazed at how many plastic bottles I was throwing away. I was putting them separately, but truth is I don't know if they really get recycled. I don't know, I just don't trust companies to actually recycle. Wonder why... Well, anyway, the amount of plastic bottles I was throwing away was insane. I drink (or try to) about 2L of water a day, and that's one plastic bottle a day, about 30 bottles every month, and for every month since I started buying them, that's a whole lot of plastic. That just can't be good, and I'm just one person. I don't want to even start thinking about how much plastic gets thrown away daily in this small town.

Although I was annoyed by the whole buying, carrying about 8L of water once every few days and then throwing the plastic out (including the plastic the bottles are packed in) it never occurred to me I could get myself a water filter. It wasn't until I was watching a Rachel and Jun video on youtube where Rachel—to demonstrate the water pressure in their old apartment—filled their water filter that I had the idea.

I have no clue how it didn't click before.

That was it. I paused the video and I looked up some water filters, was delighted to see that they were pretty cheap and that they were in stock at several close by stores. Now I have a water filter that works great (I got the cheapest one too), the water tastes exactly like the bottled water (d'uh) and I don't have to throw anything away except for the filter cartridge once a month.

So I get: less spending, potable water, less plastic waste. Is it just me or is this a win all around? Oh! Not to mention that I noticed I drink water more now that I have the water filter, I just like pouring the water into the glass. My kidney sand must be sad right now, I bet it was hoping to turn into a painful kidney stone at some point. So extra win? I think so.

Do of this what you may, I am excited about this water filter and wanted to brag. If I also gave you any ideas, yay, I am glad. But honestly, a water filter is a good investment no matter what angle you look at it from.

No comments:

Post a Comment