Monday, July 13, 2020

Join. Join. Leave.



There are a whole lot of platforms nowadays where people can chat. We moved from 1 on 1 conversations on IM or Y!Messenger to chatting in groups on forums and instant messaging communities. One of such platform that I am on, along with a large number of Internet users, is Discord and now I want to vent a little about some Discord users. And maybe find answers to some of my questions.

For those who are not familiar with Discord, the platform offers instant messaging as well as voice chat in communities you can join based on your interests. The communities, or servers, range from gaming, education, animanga and whatever else you might wish for. If you want it, there's probably a community you can join, and if there's isn't, you can create one.

Discord is a great platform to connect with people and discuss a large variety of topics. I'm not part of a lot of communities, but even so I met a lot of great people and I enjoy chatting, exchanging opinions, sometimes venting. And this brings me to the point of this post as I already tried finding an answer on the platform itself and came up with nothing. I have a feeling I'm going to look some more.

     What am I venting about?     
On several communities there are people joining and leaving the same second they joined. When you join a community you see the community's name and description and, if you like what it's about, you can click JOIN. When clicking JOIN a new page is opened in the browser and you have to click JOIN SERVER, sometimes you have to answer a CAPCHA too, but wait! After all that a new page opens and you have to click ACCEPT INVITE so surely, you can't join by mistake, you must really want to be part of that community. Right?

Here's where things go hazy for me. After going through all that trouble (searching for a community, reading about it, clicking join two-three times) people leave as soon as they officially join.

Do you know those reviews for restaurants or various products where people rate them one star and the review reads something along the lines "never been there" or "never used it"? Yeah, that's how I see these users. They just saw the community and then went on their merry way. Good thing there's not a rating system in place (hope no one gets any ideas) because I'm certain most of them would be from these kind of users.

    Why is this happening?     
I asked Google about it, but it doesn't know either. However, a lot of people asked if anyone knows if they leave a server, what happens after they leave and how they can leave a server without anyone noticing.

But then again, why did I even go to Google? When I want answers I get them from Reddit nowadays. According to Reddit, this is something that's been happening for year now, at least as early as 2015 and the accounts that join for half a second might be a script account, users that collect names from the online list and sell them to spammers, or people being plain bored. I can understand all these reasons, but I still don't get the I joined, but I already am a part of 100000 other servers so I'm leaving now. Why bother then?

Okay, that's it. This post is highly unproductive, I have no answers, but I also didn't know what to write about today so here it is.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment