Friday, May 15, 2020

Marshals series by Mary Calmes





A while ago, sometime in February, I read the Marshals series by Mary Calmes, and these days I finally published all the reviews I wrote about the series on Yaoi Otaku . If you want, you can read them all on YO, if not, this post is going to basically be a summary of what I wrote on YO. I guess? It's probably going to be more like a what's it about because my hatred for spoilers inhibits me from actually letting loose. Maybe let me know if I managed to spark your interest or not.

Before I go into it, the Marshals series was first published in 2014, the fourth and last volume being published in 2018. Yes, there are four books, five if we count the short novella that I'm going to talk about in a few paragraphs, and sadly there is no news or hint of a sequel. 

If you plan on reading the series and don't like spoilers, maybe don't read the whole post, read perhaps only about the first book of the series if you are not yet convinced you want to read it. I will try not to give any spoilers, but I feel like reading about the other books might spoil the fun. 


The plot

The series follow the two Deputy US Marshals Miro Jones, who has a reputation of being calm and collected in any situation, and Ian Doyle, his hot-blooded partner that apart from being a marshal is also a soldier. They both deal with all kinds of issues from their dangerous jobs that often put them in danger and leave a lot of scars to getting the other's attention and looking for a place to call home. 


#1 All Kinds of Tied Down

In the first volume of the series we get a glimpse at the very complicated and very dangerous job of Miro and Ian, with Miro being the narrator of the series. That, however, doesn't make him knowledgeable of what is going on around him, often being oblivious at his partner's reactions and feelings. You see, he is very, very attracted to Ian, his, supposedly, straight partner and friend.
At some point I really wanted to be in the same room as Miro just so I could smack him over the head.
Despite that, Miro is absolutely great, he's awesome and through his eyes I got to like the serious, dedicated to his job Ian just as much.
The start of the novel was promising and I just couldn't wait to read the rest.


#2 Fit to be Tied

Miro and Ian's relationship gets to another level in this second volume and I am more than pleased to say that these two are so good at communication.
What I loved a lot throughout the novel and got a big plus from me, was they way the talked to each other about whatever, both at work and off work. This is how a relationship—any kind of relationship—should be. Communication is key.

But leaving that aside, the second volume got serious. An old case of Miro's requires his attention and seems to be giving him a lot of anxiety. His past is coming back at him and threatens his well being.


#3 Tied Up in Knots

Out of all the books in the series, this one might be the most intense, the most anxiety inducing. I went through all kinds of emotions reading it, from joy to worry. Ian being a soldier means (as you will have already found out in the first volume) that he can be called at any time to go on a mission and he just has to leave everything and go, no questions asked. This happens at the worse time and it puts Miro in a lot of distress. Apart from not having Ian close, not being able to contact him, to hear his voice at least, he has to deal with the same haunting case mentioned in the second volume.

Miro's peace and sense of stability is swept away from under his feet and he finds himself in a really dangerous situation from which he won't get out of unscathed.

#3.5 Together Tied

The novella I was mentioning at the start of this post is this. Here we get a Valentine's Day special that I had really high hopes for and instead ended up being my least favourite.
Unfortunately what happens in this novella has little to do with whatever Valentine's Day is supposed to be like and it doesn't even feel like it's about Miro and Ian.

I'd actually be tempted to say you could skip this one, but it is relevant to the rest of the story and could offer some pointers and hints. Although each volume could be pretty much read as an individual novel and you would still have an idea of what's going on, it would seriously take away from the joy of reading them as well as some other important information about what is going on.

#4 Twisted and Tied

I am not thrilled about this volume. First of all because, obviously, is the last one, and secondly because it didn't offer me an actual fin.  A lot of things are going on here, Miro and Ian along with the whole team are facing new challenges that make them wonder if they are fit for the task at hand, but the book doesn't go so in depth as I would have expected it to. I felt like Ian was being neglected to the reader (although understandable considering what's going on), and the ending left room for a whole lot of other things to happen, both professionally and personally for Miro and Ian. 

What I'm saying is that I'd be more than happy to get a sequel because, frankly, the series leaves a pretty wide door open and I'm still not completely satisfied. What I mostly wanted throughout the series was for Miro and Ian to get an actual break, to fully enjoy each other with no interruptions. 


And that's it. This is what I think about the Marshal series. I did enjoy it a lot, it was a fun read and I basically devoured every volume. I liked both Miro and Ian (as well as all the other characters I didn't mention) with all their flaws and misunderstandings and despite sometimes wanting to smack them, I still think their relationship, the way they deal with whatever is being thrown at them, is great in every way. I am a firm believer that communication is extremely important and it felt really good reading about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment