Friday, May 22, 2020

I think I'm in love

Not with another person, but with the sea. Here, let me explain.

Last time I wrote about my birthday I was pretty sad and worried. I was all alone (not that I am not alone now too, but a different kind of alone), and a bit angry at the world, at how mean and cruel people are (that is still valid, sadly), but I also tried to  remind myself that not everyone is awful. 

If I think about it I actually see more funny and uplifting things on social media than bleak, dark news. 

But this is not what I want to write about now. 

I was still at work a few days before my birthday and I was sad thinking about how I was going to spend it. A coworker noticed my gloomy mood and asked if everything is alright. I didn't really want to talk about it, but I also felt like venting, letting it all out, so I answered honestly. Being away from my family and friends I only needed to talk about it and maybe a hug.

My colleague surprised me by proposing to go somewhere, have a drink after work at a pub, eat some cake and have a chat. I said yes, of course! It was such a kind gesture it instantly made me feel better and I was looking forward to it. 

Then the whole world went into panic and our plans were stomped to dust. My coworker said no problem. I'll come pick you up tomorrow morning. I had no idea what the plan was, but yeah, sure, let's do it, whatever it is. 

We meet in the morning, get in the car and I find out the plan for the day: going shopping for a picnic and then going to the sea. I was so surprised, it sounded awesome. Yes, let's go! 

And that is how I saw the sea for the first time ever and I instantly fell in love. It was really cold as spring wasn't there quite yet, but it was sunny and hearing the waves live for the first time was the best thing ever. 

Just by being there it melted all my worries away and I was able to enjoy myself. Despite living in a country with a sea, I never got to see it, never had the money for it and along the way I convinced myself that I wasn't missing anything anyway.

We sat down on the sand, close to the water and had our picnic, drank some coffee and chatted for a while. The sun and wind caressing my skin, hearing the waves, it was dreamlike. I couldn't help but close my eyes and enjoy it. I was really happy and I can't thank my colleague enough for offering me such kindness. 

So this is it, this is how I fell in love with the sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment